Your office is a place where you spend a great amount of your time, sometimes more than you wish. Your office area should be maintained neatly in order to feel good and enable you to work in a pleasant and cosy environment. However, that’s not always possible. A lot of people come in and out of the office and create more or less clutter but there are some things you can do to improve the atmosphere and contribute to the tidiness at your office.
- Whoever says that proper organization is the key to a clean office is absolutely right. Throw all unnecessary paperwork away. Put all folders in alphabetical order so you can find them more easily, and make a habit of putting things back in place once you are done using them.
- Even if your co – workers are not as organised as you are, don’t get angry but help them tidy up their workplace and encourage them not to scatter trash and papers all over the desk.
- Cleaning, and to be more precise – regular cleaning is a must for having a well maintained work place. Depending on the number of employees and the size of the office, you can take advantage of professional office cleaning services once or twice per week for complete peace of mind. These cleaners will take care of the common areas and all the additional details that require dexterity and knowledge.
- Pay attention to air quality. Air conditioners and bad ventilation systems have a really negative impact on the quality of the air in your office. If you can, open the windows regularly and let some fresh air in. It is believed that fresh air improves the productivity and the mood of employees.
- Apart from opening the windows, is there any other effective method for keeping the air fresh? Yes, there is. Green plants that are a source of oxygen, not to mention that they absorb unpleasant smells and toxins, and can also make any office look nice.
- Don’t underestimate the importance of decent furnishings. You are the one who is, to a great extent, responsible for having a neat and tidy office area so decorate it in accordance with your preferences. The decorations shouldn’t be excessive but one or two beautiful pictures on the wall and a comfortable chair would do an excellent job.
- Stick to neutral colours such as white or grey to make the office elegant and stylish. The curtains, carpets and sofas should be in complimentary colours. The diversity of bright colours will create a cheerful atmosphere and good taste in choosing tasteful furniture will undoubtedly make a good impression to your co – workers and business partners.
- Decent lighting is believed to improve productivity as well. If the light is too bright, it may cause eye strain, so if you don’t have the right lighting, you’d better turn it off during the daytime.
- Safety is a must for any company. Unfortunately, accidents happen but they can be avoided if you take proper care of your office area. Replace the carpet if it is torn so nobody trips over, smoking should be prohibited on the premises, a first–aid kit should be present in the office. These are small but significant details that contribute to a healthy environment at the office.
The work that is performed in an office requires more mental than physical effort so every employee should be encouraged in the right state of mind in order to be efficient and productive. Disturbances should be kept to a minimum. Set your office up in the way you want it to be and try to feel as cosy as possible.
It doesn’t take much time and effort but you have to be proactive and committed to maintaining your office environment so that it is neat and welcoming.