5 Most Important Minerals and Vitamins for Women
The bodily requirements of women are very different when compared to men. Where men would need proteins to help them build muscles, women require vitamins to make their bones strong. Therefore, the nutritional requirements of women are different from men.
Like men, the primary source of nutrition for women is also food. However, immersed in the busy routines of today, women seldom find time to get the required nutrition from foods. Therefore, it is quite normal that women use supplements to compensate for the deficit. The most required nutrients by women are vitamins and minerals. The points below give the most important vitamins and minerals that women must take.
- Folic Acid:Folic acid has long been proven to improve heart condition and prevent diseases and other problems such as Alzheimer’s, cancer, memory loss, depression and high blood pressure. Moreover, besides these generic benefits, folic acid also promotes the growth of new cells, helping in prevention of anemia which is one of the major diseases suffered by young women. The recommended dose of folic acid for women is 400mcg, while pregnant women may take 600mcg. Dark leafy green vegetables and oranges are sources rich in folic acid.
- Vitamin K:When it comes to the strengthening of bones, blood clotting and reduction of chances of heart disease, the best nutrient is vitamin K. Most of the multivitamins available in the market are low in vitamin K, therefore, read the labels carefully before opting for any particular multivitamin. The natural sources of vitamin K include dark green vegetables such as broccoli, spinach, Swiss chard and kale.
- Calcium:Pertaining to bone health and a strong immune system, calcium is the most important mineral that women require. Besides prevention from osteoporosis, calcium also helps lower the chances of high blood pressure and colon cancer. Women between the ages of 19 and 50 must consume 100mg of calcium, while women over 50 must consume 1200 mg of calcium every day. The natural sources of boosting calcium are juices, dairy products and leafy greens, however, any of the top energy drinks available in the market can also have high calcium content to fulfill your daily needs.
- Vitamin D:In consumption of calcium, you need to be aware of the fact that the body can’t properly absorb calcium without the presence of vitamin D. Besides helping in the absorption of calcium, vitamin D also helps in lowering the risk of sclerosis, different types of cancer and rheumatoid arthritis. Vitamin D is also known to protect vision and reduce PMS symptoms. The natural sources of vitamin D include, egg yolks, salmon, and fortified milk.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids:There are good fats and there are bad fats. Omega 3 fatty acids are the good fats that your body requires to function properly. Omega 3 reduces the chances of heart disease, bone loss, rheumatoid arthritis, memory loss and osteoporosis. Therefore, women must ensure that their diet contains omega 3, rich sources of which include walnuts, flaxseed, and fish.
Bottom Line: In short, women need to be very conscious in terms of their nutrient intake. Among nutrients, vitamins and minerals are the most crucial for better health and a long life, therefore, their intake must always be assured.
Author Bio: Angelika Johnston is an expert in health and fitness issues and mainly writes on nutritional supplementation like muscle building supplements and top energy drinks available for athletes and fitness enthusiasts.