Create some 5 minute ‘My'-time
One of the hardest things when juggling work, business and family is making time for you. As a Mummy you are often putting kids, hubby and business before your needs, and if a friend in need calls, you will go and help them too! Which are all great qualities and what we love about mummies, but what about making time for you before you go stir crazy or burn out? Remember a happy family needs a happy Mummy, not a stressed one.
I was reminded of this today when this morning I am juggling dishes, the phone and writing an article, and then it all started. Miss wanted to paint, Hubby had calls to do and I am left standing there a bit muddleheaded and feeling like the wheels are going to fall off at any minute the alarm bells rang – Time to take care of you.
Mummy needs a coffee!
Many Mummies ask me how I do what I do and I say coffee mostly as a joke but sometimes it is very true – coffee is my escape and relaxes me giving me those precious moments of me time. A coffee for me can be at my desk while surfing the web, on the couch while baby sleeps beside me or an escape outside with Miss for a Chino, as I get away from what I do for the day. It is my 5 mins of ‘My' time!
Creating some 5 min My Time:
As a working Mummy it is better to create ‘My' time than wait for the wheels to be falling off like I did this morning, before I take care of me. However that is not always possible, so here are some quick 5 min ‘My' time tips that can help to take care of you!
- Have a coffee or treat in a special cup away from it all – (I love my Mummy Rocks Cup saved just for these occasions)
- Hand cream – it's really nice to stop at your desk and sit back, rub in some hand cream and feel the sensations– not only does it make your hands feel nice but if you have a nicely scented one you get aromatherapy too
- Have a candle – lighting my candle lifts my mood and gives me stress relief – it takes 2 seconds to do but freshens the room
- Walk outside, just you – no hubby, no kids, just walk outside and look around!
- Hide a magazine – get your fav mag and hide it then bring it out when you need ‘My' time, and then hide it again. (Protecting it from drawings and crumpled pages)
- Mixed tape (well Cd’s now) – create yourself a playlist of your fav songs to play in the car and get in some ‘My' time that way (remember turn it up really loud and sing – who cares who sees you!)
I would love to hear how other Mummies get in some ‘My' time in under 5 mins, to stay sane while juggling their days.
Now for me it is off to plan a day spa trip with no hubby or kids – even if I don’t get there, planning is half the fun!